Salting & De-Icing Procedures
The Village uses an environmentally friendly alternative to salt only to remove snow and ice from streets, a liquid by-product consisting of salt brine mix (70%), beet juice (20%) (beet by-product) and calcium chloride (10%). This product will be mixed with the salt on the trucks to create an oatmeal-like substance, and then applied to the streets.
This liquid has several advantages.
- Beet juice adds moisture to help salt work better.
- Lowers the working temperature of salt to around 20 degrees (below zero).
- Creates a composition that sticks to the pavement versus dry salt that can bounce off of the pavement.
- Reduces salt use by 20%.
- Environmentally friendly product.
- Since the liquid is being mixed with salt, residents should not see a noticeable difference in the de-icing materials being applied to local streets.